Another month gone by! Did everyone have a good Halloween? I dressed up as a person sitting at home reading and blogging. Because I was a person sitting at home reading and blogging 😛
Unfortunately my dental situation is still a mess. No dentist/specialist seems to know anything, I might need implants now (if I’m even a candidate for that), and I can’t even find a doctor in my area who a) offers what I need b) has the skills to help now that the situation is so complicated, and c) is someone I trust and who will listen to me. I don’t know what to do, and all of this is continuing to take a toll on me both physically and mentally, which is why I haven’t been doing much bloghopping lately beyond returning visits to anyone who leaves a comment here.
Anyway, I’m sure everyone is sick of hearing about this, so let’s get to the happy stuff: books!
I feel like my Kingdom of Copper joke went unappreciated, so I’m sharing it here 😛
I feel like I've been given the keys to the kingdom…
The Kingdom of Copper 😉
I'm not sorry. That was a great joke, and I stand by it. 😂
— Kristen @ Metaphors and Moonlight (@whykristenburns) October 11, 2018
I also got bookmail from Pyr!
I’m also making some small changes on the blog. You may have seen my announcement that I’ve added a gaming category.
I think I’m also going to remove the sex, violence, language, and a couple other tags from my book review posts since I don’t know if anyone uses them, they’re super subjective/unclear, and it’s just more work for me. If you really use those, let me know, and I might reconsider.
Quick question for my fellow reviewers who use Edelweiss, have you ever gotten the error “w_adept_core_expired” when trying to download a graphic novel to Adobe Digital Editions? And did any of you perchance also try to download Songs for the Dead Vol. 1? I don’t know if the problem is on my end or EW’s end since I’ve never had this happen with other comics I’ve downloaded.
Books I Received for Review:
All these covers are so bright and glowy! I love it!
10/14/18: The Burning Magus is from NetGalley. Kingdom of Copper is from Edelweiss.
10/21/18: Day Killer is from the author. The Nine and The Fall are from Pyr.
10/28/18: Hell Divers IV: Wolves is from NetGalley.
11/4/18: Dark Arts and a Daiquiri is from the author.
Books I Finished:
10/14/18: Waypoint was a little outside my norm since it was kind of SFF light, but I enjoyed it! Black City Dragon was another great Prohibition Era UF book in the Black City Saint series. Creatures was not bad, but it didn’t impress me either.
10/21/18: The Burning Magus was a satisfying ending to a unique UF/cyberpunk trilogy. Undercurrent was another great merfolk book in the Under series. I have mixed feelings about Hot Pterodactyl Boyfriend. Day Killer was another great book in the City of Crows series.
10/28/18: Chaos Cocktail was a mixed bag. Lint Boy was a visual delight! Wolves was another great, intense Hell Divers book.
11/4/18: Trail of Lightning didn’t really grip me, but it had some aspects I liked. Underground was fantastic; I’m loving this merfolk series!
What I’m Loving:
This week, what I’m loving is…
Ben & Jerry’s Non-Dairy Frozen Treats
I get headaches from ice cream and haven’t been able to eat it for years, and I recently found out that Ben & Jerry’s makes some of their flavors in non-dairy! Including one of my favorites that I haven’t been able to find a non-dairy version of (cherry chocolate chip)! Even though, right now, eating just makes me think of my teeth which stresses me out :-/
In Case You Missed It:
– I shared mini reviews for three paranormal/urban fantasy books – The Well of Tears, Fangs of Freelance, and Straight Outta Fangton.
– I discussed human vs. inhuman portrayals of vampires and asked which you like.
– I reviewed Steal the Sun by Lexi Blake, another great book in a touching, emotional, hilarious, supernatural-filled series.
– I recommended 10 lesser-known M/M vampire books.
– I reviewed (more like sobbed about) Saga Vol. 9 by Brian K. Vaughan, a brutal volume in the Saga series.
– I reviewed This Dark Endeavor by Kenneth Oppel, an ominous Frankenstein-inspired story.
– I added a gaming category to my blog and talked about what types of game posts I’ll be doing.
– I reviewed Creatures: The Legacy of Frankenstein, a diverse Frankenstein-inspired anthology.
– I shared November/December 2018 game releases to get excited about.
– I reviewed Day Killer by Clara Coulson, another great book in an amazing UF series.
– I shared November/December 2018 book releases to get excited about.
– I reviewed Chaos Cocktail: 13 Fantasy Bar Brawls, a fun but somewhat frustrating anthology.
– I reviewed Hell Divers IV: Wolves by Nicholas Sansbury Smith, another intense post-apocalyptic story.
The Sunday Post Link-Up:
Once again, I’m linking up to The Sunday Post at Caffeinated Book Reviewer 🙂