*Note: This post was written in 2017 before I knew about JK Rowling’s trans-exclusionary views and the harm her tweets, articles, etc. are bringing to trans people, their safety, and their rights. I no longer support or promote Rowling, but I’m leaving this post up because it’s a series that still means a lot to many people who have already read it. Leaving it up also gives me a chance to say all this and spread more awareness to anyone who may not know. If you don’t know what I’m referring to, I encourage you to do some research about Rowling’s views and listen to trans people about why her views are so harmful. The links I provided might be good starting points. I also encourage you to find diverse works by diverse authors and perhaps support and promote those instead!*
So I saw this tag over at A Dance With Books, and it looked like so much fun I couldn’t resist. It was originally created by The Writing Hufflepuff, and what you do is choose four books, then you use those books to answer the questions. (I recommend choosing books before you even look at the questions, that’s what I did, and I think it’s more fun that way!)
Anyway, here’s my Harry Potter life! And as usual, everyone feel free to tag yourselves 🙂
1. Steal the Light by Lexi Blake
2. Starflight by Melissa Landers
3. Withered + Sere by TJ Klune
4. Girl on a Wire by Gwenda Bond
1. Your Wand – Open book 1 at a random page. The first noun you see will be what your wand is made of.
Eyes? My wand is made of eyes?! Oh no. No no no no no. I’m not ok with this. Can it be googly eyes or something instead? I mean, no one would ever take me seriously with a googly-eye wand, but maybe I could use that to my advantage because people would underestimate me and then I’d surprise them. Or if I’m going to have to suffer through the utter disgustingness of an eye wand, can it at least have the special ability to “see” things that I can’t? Like a crystal ball or something?
2. Your Pet – Does book 2 have animals? One of those animals will now be your pet. If the book doesn’t have any animals, then I’m sorry but your pet-less.
At first I got sad because I couldn’t think of any animals in this book, but then I remembered the crew does in fact have a sugar glider as a pet! And I do love pet rodents. I’d be happy with a sugar glider.
3. Your Hogwarts House – Open book 3 at a random page. Whatever House you’d think the character’s name you first see belongs to, is your House (woah that’s a weird sentence, hope that made sense).
Why oh why did I have to pick Withered + Sere as my third book? I mean, if it had been the second book, I could’ve had a really awesome dog as a pet. If it had been the first, maybe my wand would be made of something better than eyes. Knowing how much violence is in this book, it would’ve probably been blood or something, but even that’s better than eyes. But no, of course I gotta choose it third, and this is the book with all the sociopaths. But they all kinda redeemed themselves in the end… Anyway, I have no idea what House Cavalo would be in. By the end of the book he was pretty brave though and looked out for and helped everyone… I’ll just go with Gryffindor (even though I’m actually a Ravenclaw).
4. Make Your Golden Trio Complete – Open book 4 at a random page. The first two names will be your best friends and complete your squad. If there’s only one name at said page, open another random page.
Oh, thank goodness I picked a book with decent characters for this one. I got Remy and Jules which means I would unfortunately end up being a third wheel, but they’re good people and they’re circus people, so we’d have that in common 😉 Plus Remy does flying trapeze, and I’ve always wanted to learn that!
5. Your Head of House – Open book 1 at a random page. The first name you’ll see will be your Head of House.
Ok, well, the first name was literally some random stranger who was in one scene whose friend just happened to say his name, and then he was killed. So I went with the second name I came across, which was Daniel, and he would make a great Head of House because he’s like a born leader.
6. Your ‘Draco Malfoy’ – Naturally you’ll need your arch nemesis/school rival. Open book 2 at a random page, the first name you’ll see will be your enemy.
Doran. Well, I liked him, so I don’t really want him as my enemy. But considering he was apparently a bully to Solara when they were high school, I guess I can see him playing that role well.
7. Your Patronus – Open book 3 at a random page. The first living creature you’ll see will be your Patronus.
Ummm, this isn’t gonna work so well. They live in a desolate, barren, post-apocalyptic world, not a whole lot of living things other than people and Cavalo’s dog, Bad Dog. And SIRS, if you count him, but he’s a robot. I did come across Mr. Fluff though, a stuffed animal rabbit, so I guess that could be my patronus?
8. Will You Win the House Cup? – How many pages does book 4 have? That’s how many points you’ll House have at the end of the school year. If the book has more than 400 pages it will have won the Cup, congrats!
Damn it! 386 pages. So close.