I guess I’ll state the obvious: It’s the last day of 2017!
I think we can all concur that this year in general has been a mess. And it seems lots of people have had individually bad years as well. It hasn’t been my best year, but, honestly, none of the past few years have. So… that’s why I want to use this post to talk about some of the positive things that I’ve done or that have happened to me in 2017!
P.S. There are a lot of photos in this post, so I made them small, but you can click to see them bigger! (Not the book covers though, those still link to Amazon.)
Good Things that Happened to Me in 2017:
– I did some story writing! It was probably less than 10,000 words total, not counting notes and brainstorming stuff, but still! I didn’t expect much when I started that supernatural sims house, but it honest-to-goodness inspired me and made me want to turn these sims into characters and bring them to life. It got me researching and learning about the folklore of different supernatural creatures, brainstorming and figuring out who my characters are and how their supernatural powers work, imagining scenes in my head, and actually doing some writing. Here’s one short scene that I shared (at the end of the post).
– I also wrote a poem! It’s about a misunderstood merman.
– I did some drawing too! I loved drawing when I was younger, but eventually stopped. This year, I started again. And I’m trying to actually learn so that maybe one day I can draw from imagination instead of copying pictures exactly. It’s HARD, and my chronic illness and tennis elbow makes it hard to do it as much as I would like… but at least I’m trying! Here are little drawings I did of some of my sims (ok the drawing of Matthew looks nothing like him, but whatever) and some of my sketchbook pages.
– I won some giveaways!
– I got my first two physical review copies! Granted one was from an indie author and one was for a blog tour, but they made me so happy!
– My librarian proved to be awesome and bought all four of the ebooks I recommended!
– And I’d like to give a shout-out to some awesome bloggers who have great blogs and who are great people and who always visit and have made me feel appreciated this year in one way or another: Becky @ A Fool’s Ingenuity, Annemieke @ A Dance with Books, Lola @ Lola’s Reviews, Greg @ Greg’s Book Haven, La La @ La La in the Library, Verushka @ Pop.Edit.Lit, Brandee @ Bookworm Brandee, and I’m sure I’m forgetting people, and all of you who visit are amazing, and that’s why I rarely ever do things like this (I don’t want anyone to feel bad!), but I wanted to spread some love today 🙂
Ok I’m sure there were some more good things, including non-bookish things, but I’m having brain fog, and that’s all I can think of right now!
Reminder in case anyone missed it: I uploaded the 2018 spreadsheet template to my “Blogging Tips: Scheduling and Keeping Track of Blog Posts with a Spreadsheet” post. So if anyone wants to download it and get organized in the new year, it’s there 🙂
I also received a book that I won in a giveaway! I think it’s like a M/M sci-fi retelling of the Pied Piper. You already saw it above, but every other book I’ve won got its own spotlight, so here it is again:
Books I Received for Review:
12/24/17: Thorns and Fangs is from NetGalley.
12/31/17: The Ledberg Runestone is from NetGalley. The Shadow Weave is from the author.
Books I Finished:
12/17/17: Rebel Faerie was the last book in the Creepy Hollow series, and I really enjoyed it!
12/24/17: The Queen of the Damned was good but slow, and I was in a bit of a slump, so it took me a while to read. Stone Sentinel was alright.
12/31/17: I read The Vampire Grinch on Christmas Eve before going to sleep. It was cute. Saga Vol. 8 was great! Thorns and Fangs wasn’t bad but was confusing.
What I’m Loving:
This week, what I’m loving is…
Matthew and Elliott’s Dancing (Again)!
They’ve gotten even better since last time! I swear I can’t watch Matthew dance and not smile. And I can’t believe I’ve been playing The Sims 3 for like five years and never knew sims could improve their dancing and dance like this. A lot of you probably don’t care lol, but here are the videos for anyone who does! (You have to watch to the end of the first one, it goes so perfect with the music. If you just wanna see them really break it down, watch the third one. Also, that song in the last video should totally be what they dance to at their wedding. It was so perfect!)
Ahhhh here’s more photos because this is supposed to be a fun, positive post, and I love these guys, and I don’t care if you all think I’m crazy lol.
Also, they got a guinea pig! That’s not really relevant, but I just like guinea pigs.
In Case You Missed It:
– I reviewed Juniper Unraveling by Keri Lake, a dark post-apoc romance.
– I shared my favorite book covers from books I read in 2017.
– I reviewed The Demon King and the Boy Who Hardly Knew Anything by Pat Ellis, a M/M high fantasy love story.
– I reviewed The Vampires’ Birthright by Aiden James & Patrick Burdine, a good story but a frustrating main character.
– I shared my favorite characters from books I read in 2017.
– I shared mini reviews for three light, fun, M/M Christmas-themed fantasy novellas.
– I shared my 2017 bookish goals update.
– I shared my favorite books/series from books I read in 2017.
– I shared my 2017 bookish stats.
The Sunday Post Link-Up:
Once again, I’m linking up to The Sunday Post at Caffeinated Book Reviewer 🙂